Just as flat irons have different plate materials and hair dryers have different quality heaters, hair brushes also are made with different materials for different hair types. If youíre investing in a professional flat iron or hair dryer, your next purchase should be for a professional hair brush. In order to get salon quality hair, you need salon quality tools!
Since the 1800s boar bristle brushes have acquired a cult following for their dense, hard bristles and all of its benefits. There are others who despise the boar bristle brush, usually for the same reasons. Check out this guide if you are interested in trying a boar bristle brush to find out if itís the right choice for you.
How are Boar Bristle Brushes different from other brushes?
- These brushes contain densely packed bristles, perfect for thick or dense hair, especially ethnic hair
- The bristles are made from the hair of adult boards, which has of course been sanitized
Who are Boar Bristle Brushes for?
- Those with normal, fine, and damaged hair Ė as long as the brush is used correctly
- Those with long or short hair
- Those with coarse or thick hair, if the brush is a combination Boar Bristle/Nylon brush
The DOs of Boar Bristle Brushes
- DO use to create shiny, healthy hair
- DO use to take healthy oils from the scalp and move them down the entire hair shaft, which seals hair follicles and prevents split ends
- DO use to create a soothing and relaxing experience by massaging the scalp with the dense bristles, which can increase blood flow to the scalp and in turn promote hair growth
- DO use to create soft, manageable hair
The DONíTs of Boar Bristle Brushes
- DONíT use on wet hair, as this will cause unnecessary damage
- DONíT forget to clean the brush regularly, including combing through the bristles regularly and occasionally deep cleaning by soaking in shampoo
- DONíT use to detangle hair, use a wide tooth comb for this step to avoid damage
Which Boar Bristle Brush is right for me?
- Curly or wavy hair will require a wide round brush
- A wide round brush will help you achieve straight, slightly bouncy style
- A small round brush will help you achieve a loose curly style
As with any hair styling tool, choosing a brush is all about picking the best product for your hair type. Regardless of what others think about styling techniques and tools, itís really up to you to make the decision. Take these facts and use them to your advantage, ask around, and do research! Talk to your stylist and find out what he or she uses on your hair. If you choose right, this will be an investment as important as your flat iron or hair dryer!
Check out Misikkoís great selection of Boar Bristle Brushes , including professional brands like Hai and Paul Mitchell !
Thanks to Elizabeth for writing this article for Misikko!